Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Early Goal Downs PSUGA Against Johnson & Wales

Early Goal Downs PSUGA Against Johnson &  Wales

McKeesport, PA. - the Penn State Greater Allegheny men's soccer team (0-2, 0-0) fell in non-conference action on Friday to Johnson & Wales (3-0, 0-0) 9-0. After giving up a goal early they were never able to recover and get back into the game.

It took just three minutes for Johnson & Wales to get on the board when Zach Savage snuck one in to the bottom right corner of the net giving the Wildcats a 1-0 lead. After that freshman goalkeeper Hunter Huber (West Mifflin, PA./West Mifflin HS), who was making his first collegiate start, settled in and played well.

After being called on to start just minutes before the game Huber held the defending United States Collegiate Athletic Association runner-ups to just three first-half goals. He made 8 of his 13 saves in the first half facing 11 shots on net.

The teams broke for halftime with Johnson & Wales holding a 3-0 lead as PSUGA tried to find some offensive answers. They were outshot 28-1 in the first half with Ronnie Caldro (Pittsburgh,PA.) notching the only shot on net.

Johnson & Wales found their groove in the second half, scoring five goals and running away with a 9-0 win. Caldro got one more shot on goal and Senior Dario Marina (Pittsburgh,PA./Baldwin HS) added a shot of his own to complete the offensive attack.

Huber finished the game with 13 saves on 22 shots on goal playing the whole 90 minutes in net. Brandon Greene and Robert Marin led the offensive attack for Johnson & Wales each collecting two goals on the night.

PSUGA is battling through a tough non-conference schedule set to get them ready for Penn State University Athletic Conference play next week. They will take the lessons they learned from these early matchups to make them more successful as the season goes on.

PSUGA returns to action on Monday when they go on the road to face Westmoreland County Community College at 4 p.m.